2 Park Street
The library movement began very early in Potsdam. The Washington Benevolent Society, incorporated on June 14, 1814, was the first library association and was followed by the Union Library Association, incorporated on January 8, 1828. The Potsdam Reading Center and Library Association opened on April 3, 1887 and was located in the two stories of the Albion Hotel Block on Market Street which has since been torn down.
The first official Potsdam Public Library and Reading Room Association was incorporated on March 10, 1896. At the dawn of a new century the Potsdam Public Library is committed to serving the North Country as the premier media resource center with the best in resources and services.