One Buttonball Lane
The Egremont Free Library was established in 1893, when $25.00 was voted for the library by the town fathers. Space was available in the old Egremont Academy building, which had been built as a school around 1830, and sold, in 1882, to the town, to be used for the town's offices.
The library occupied the front part of the building until 1981, when the town offices were moved to another location. At that time, the library took over the entire first floor, with the town Archives now occupying the main part of the second floor.
The library abuts the Mount Everett Cemetery. The oldest stone in this beautiful cemetery dates from 1803. Members of families prominent in Egremont history are buried here. The cemetery is open to the public.