Date: OngoingOrganized By: American Red Cross
State: VTContact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you interested in helping staff a shelter during the ongoing hurricane/wildfire season? The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event this hurricane/wildfire season. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disaster clients.
Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
- Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID environment.
- Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners.
- Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor.
- Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts.
- Completing the required virtual self-paced training (3 hours of training total).
Qualifications: Required Qualifications:
- Ability to build appropriate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
- Ability to support and correct performance, manage conflict and ask for help early on so that workflow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or the shelter community.
- Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
- Lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
- Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
- Walk on uneven terrain.
- Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
- Drive in day time and at night.
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event.
- Availability to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long).
- Willing to complete 3 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position.
Apply at redcross.org/volunteertoday.
Matching Interests: Indoors, Geared for 50+ volunteers, Handicap accessible, Veterans & Military Families, Hunger, Homeless & Housing, Health & Wellness, Emergency & Safety, Disaster Relief