Date: OngoingOrganized By: American Red Cross
Address: 2707 State St,
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
The Shelter Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and interacts with clients to ensure their needs are met. Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter, which can include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter.
May include providing support to one or more of the following areas within the shelter:
- Provide excellent customer service to clients
- Complete the required virtual self-paced training (3.5 hours of training total).
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event.
- Ability to work in a continuously changing environment in which work priorities may change frequently.
- Comfortable interacting with people from various diverse background whose lives have been disrupted and many are presenting immediate needs.
- Comfortable working in a team environment as a frontline worker under the direction of a Supervisor.
- Ability to lift/carry 20 lbs. multiple times per shift.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Ability to climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Ability to speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Ability to work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
- Valid Driverﾒs License (required for Divisional and National Deployments).
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Available to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long).
- Willing to complete 3.5 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position.
- Ability to read, write, and follow verbal and written instructions in English.
- Local/Regional: Shift work determined by the scale of the relief operation; a minimum requirement of 8-12 hours per day during the disaster relief operation for multiple, consecutive days.
Minimum of 14 days working 8- or 12-hour shifts.
- See the Disaster Responder Training Requirements document for current training requirements for Shelter Service Associate (MC/SH/SA).
Find out more at www.redcross.org/volunteertoday or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to Make a Difference? Here's How to Get Started!
Go to redcross.org/volunteertoday to complete our online application. It takes less than 10 minutes!
A member of our team will get in touch. Taking the time for a personal conversation enables us to match you with a role that will be both meaningful and enjoyable.
Weﾒll provide all necessary training to ensure you can be successful in your volunteer role.
Skill Desired: Medical/Health
Matching Interests: Requires Physical Ability (for example, lift 50 lbs.), Outdoors, Indoors, Community, Emergency & Safety
Tuesday, Jan 25, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. Pacific Time
Wednesday, Jan 26, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Zoom | Link Will Be Provided Before the Event
Tuesday, Feb 8, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. Pacific Time
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR