Woodthrush Woods State Preserve is a 25-acre forest. It is located seven miles east of Fairfield in Jefferson County. The hilly, wooded area was originally owned by naturalist Hiram Heaton. He loved nature, studied birds for his own enjoyment, and led others in the study and appreciation of birds. In 1922, upon his death, the property was willed to the town of Fairfield as a park for nature study, and in turn deeded to the Hiram Heaton Park Association. In 1928, it was given to the State Board of Conservation to be used as a state forest preserve. In 1962, the preserve was deeded back to Fairfield and was used for conservation study by the school district. In 1975, the woodland was dedicated as a biological state preserve.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR