Willoughby Branch Library
30 Public Square
In 1827, Willoughby Township formed a subscription library, where members paid annual dues for borrowing privileges. Soon a book collection was established and in 1905, S.D. Shankland, school superintendent and state legislator, led an effort to sponsor a public library. Money and books were donated by the community and funds ($14,500) for the structure on Euclid Avenue came from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
In the summer of 1909, Willoughby proudly dedicated its new library. The library continued to serve for the next half century and operated two small stations in Willowick and Eastlake. In the 1950's, surrounding communities expressed a need for their own services and Willoughby's capacity was overwhelming. A building levy passed in 1959 providing the solution. Two additional buildings were constructed in Willowick and Eastlake and the Willoughby Library was slated for an expansion and facelift that would be a model for the modernization of Carnegie libraries across the country.
In 1990, the community voted to support another expansion, which resulted in the updated Willoughby Library you visit today.