William Howard Doane Library
400 West Loop
The William Howard Doane Library at Denison University was designated a Federal Depository Library by U. S. Rep. Buriah Wilkins on March 17, 1884. Since that time it has provided free public access to government information to the citizens of Licking County and surrounding communities.
Denison has a somewhat unusual history as a depository library. Early in World War II there was some fear that Washington, D. C. might be bombed. To protect our national heritage valuable materials were removed from the Library of Congress and hidden at five sites around the country. Denison was the only site west of the Alleghenies in which part of this collection was stored. An account of this story entitled "Documents Stored Here Returned to Washington" was published in the Denisonian on November 10th, 1944.
Currently the Government Publications Department receives approximately 39.28% of all publications available for selection through the Federal Depository Library Program. Our selection profile is designed to serve the needs of the students, faculty, and staff of Denison University, local business and the general public.