About the Museum:
Weeden House Museum is Alabama’s oldest public building, the Weeden House was built in 1819 and was home to several early distinguished Huntsville residents. The home is a fine example of Federal architecture, displaying elaborate interior and exterior detailing. It displays the artwork of Maria Howard Weeden. It lies five blocks northeast of Big Springs Park.
This lovely Federal design home was built in 1819 by Henry C. Bradford during Huntsville's first economic boom. The house was for a while in the possession of associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, John McKinley. By 1845, it became the town house of Dr. William Weeden and his family. The Weeden family retained possession until 1956. After a succession of owners, the Twickenham Historic Preservation District Association now leases the Weeden House from the City of Huntsville and carries on a continuing process of preservation. The aim of the museum is to illustrate family life in the 1840's, to present the fine architectural features of this Federal style house and to share the life of Maria Howard Weeden, who was a famous poet and watercolorist. Upon entry to the Weeden House, guests are treated to the delightful trio of curves — the brilliant leaded-glass fanlight over the double entry door, the curved rear wall of the entry hall and the cylindrical shape of the spiral stairwell. Throughout the house one may see the intricate hand-crafted woodwork which carries on the initial theme established in the cornice at the top of the house exterior. The Weeden House would have remained just one more lovely Federal house had it not been for the talents of Maria Howard Weeden. Born in the Weeden House in 1846,Histories featured for homes on the 2012 Twickenham Annual Tour of Homes.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR