Washington Village Branch Library
1226 Columbia Road
Originally named the Andrew Square Reading Room, or "Station Y", the Branch was first opened in January of 1901 in the John A. Andrew School on Dorchester Street. In 1942 it was moved to 290 Old Colony Avenue in the Old Colony Housing Project, and was renamed the Washington Village Branch. The Branch was closed due to a fire in August 1972, and attempts to repair the building were unsuccessful. Library service to the Washington Village neighborhood was provided by a bookmobile until budget cuts closed the bookmobile service. During this time, neighborhood residents never gave up hope of restoring their library service. A task force of Old Colony residents applied for a federal grant that enabled the Housing Authority to remodel two apartments into a small library facility. The Branch was reopened in 1983.