Union Township Public Library Ripley Branch
27 Main Street
In 1914, the town received $10,000 from the Carnegie Foundation for the actual structure, with the stipulation the library would be built above the 1913 flood level. The raised ground helps give the library its noble appearance, but did not save it from damage during the 1937 flood.
Late in 1915 the Union Township Public Library opened for business. The Prairie Style architecture designed by H.T. Liebert of Wausau, Wisconsin, was constructed of brick with a red tile roof and 'ribbon' style windows. The glazed tile that decorates the exterior was made by the Rookwood Pottery of Cincinnati, better known for their beautiful art pottery.
In 1990 the first expansion was completed. Care was taken to match the style of the orginal building. In 1993 a meeting room was added, increasing our ability to be a full service library to the community.