451 Main Street
Tulelake has had a library branch since 1926, but location caused the library to move several times. The library was in Merrill, then Malin Oregon before finally existing a few miles from the Tulelake township and referred to as the Winema branch until that closed in 1941. In 1944, the Tulelake City Council proposed providing space for the library and paying some of the costs of operation. The library was located in the city hall until 1950 when it moved into new quarters on Main Street, the Booth Building near the bank. In 1960, the library moved across the street to the city owned building that is its present location. This building was a former drug store, built in 1934, by Dick Moore and his wife Blanche, sons Richard and Dennis, and daughter, Carol. Carol is now the president of the Tulelake Friends of the Library. The store had everything, newspapers, magazines, watches and clocks, shotguns and shells, candy and gum, fish tackle. A small room previously used for mixing medicines is now the paperback room in the library. There was also a fountain where delicious shakes and sundaes were served. Watching over the premises was a large Chesapeake Bay retriever, named Rough. In 1960, the building was sold to the city for $5.000. The Library is a landmark in the community and a nostalgic place for many in the community.