207 Deming Street
Theatre Newington-OnStage started out in the spring of 1962. After several years of working for other theatre organizations throughout the state, a small group of people met at Town Hall (1223 Main Street) for the purpose of forming a community theatre for the Town of Newington. During this time of rapid expansion, Newington experienced the formation of many other volunteer organizations.
The initial meeting was chaired by the group's first President, Maurice (Moe) Smith, and numbered among its participants; Joseph Neiman (who served as legal counsel), as well as members Fritz Leitl, George B. Williams and Joan and Bob Gustafson.
In 1962, Theatre Newington-OnStage presented "The Curious Savage" as its inaugural production. Thus began a tradition of providing family entertainment in the form of comedies, mysteries, dramas and musicals.
As the years went by, "home base" for TNOS relocated from 1223 Main Street, to 131 Cedar Street, the Council Chambers of Town Hall.
On December 19, 2002, 4 days after the close of "Guys and Dolls," an article in The Hartford Courant informed us that due to numerous fire code violations in the Council Chambers, live theatrical performances would no longer be permitted. Until these issues were resolved, TNOS found itself "homeless," and as a result unable to produce "Steel Magnolias," the show which would have been our 100th consecutive production. This, from a group that had "never gone black."
While this was a bitter pill to swallow, we remained undaunted and determined to find a new venue to produce our shows. This was no small feat and after several disappointments, we were steered toward West Hartford, where the good people of the Elmwood Community Center heard our plight and graciously offered to rent us their lovely facility.