A Short History of Morgan Hill
Depending on whom you ask the history of Eastern Pennsylvania’s Williams Township has been recorded "very accurately" or "not very accurately at all!" But it does seem clear that in 1774, Northampton County was the second largest of Pennsylvania's eleven counties, comprising more than 2,500 square miles, three towns (Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton), and 15,000 residents.
When the Revolutionary War began, militias took control of virtually the entire area. Frontier justice replaced the rule of law as zealous patriots preoccupied themselves not with fighting the British, but with seizing local political power and persecuting their pacifist neighbors.
But there were some true American warriors in the region, and General Thomas Proctor was among them. A short distance southeast of the Kleinhaus greenhouses were the headquarters of Proctor's Artillery. Here, Proctor and his troops held a strategic position, with easy access to the Delaware River and within a day's journey of New York or Philadelphia.
Next to General Henry Knox, Colonel Proctor was considered the most distinguished artillery officer in the Continental Army. Proctor's Artillery was one of the most effective units, serving in many battles, and having the distinction of being the first artillery regiment assembled in Pennsylvania
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR