Telfair County Public Library
815 College Street
The Telfair County Library has come a long way from its humble beginnings in 1940. It began under P.T.A. sponsorship with 200 books borrowed from the Georgia Library Commission. It was housed in the old McRae-Helena School and used shelves built by C.L. Blalock's vocational class from donated lumber. The first librarian was Nona Hines and the W.P.A. paid her salary. The operating budget was a grand total of $20.00 per month and this was contriubted by local citizens. The first annual report showed total book collection of 428 volumes with 6900 books circulated.
The Telfair County Library Board was formed in 1943 and the P.T.A. was relieved of sponsorship. The library continued to grow and in 1946 it moved from the school campus to the Log Cabin near the courthouse. It moved from there to Civic Memorial Center on College Street in 1955. On May 15, 1955, it joined with Dodge County Library to form the Dodge-Telfair Regional Library, later renamed the Ocmulgee Regional Library System when Bleckley County joined. Wilcox, Pulaski, and Wheeler counties are now part of this union and a bookmobile serves the area.