Sutherland Springs Historical Museum
6556 Hwy 87 West
Sutherland Springs is rich in Texas History. The town is named after Dr. John Sutherland, who was at the Alamo and carried a letter from Travis to rally for help. Come read and see the pictures of Sutherland Springs history of being the first county seat, Alamo connections, Texas Rangers, Texas Outlaws headquartered in Sutherland Springs, Hidden Treasurer and a Civil War Union spy.
Then there is J.H. Polley who came to Texas with Austin's Orginal 300 and became the first Sheriff of Texas and was one of the wealthiest in cattle and land. Polley's plantation home still stands, called " The Polley Mansion". Built in 1848, with 8 fireplaces and walls 2 ft thick.
Read and see the pictures of the early 1900's when Sutherland Springs was a resort town and people from all over the world came to bathe in the Healing Waters. Crouds up to 5,000 would come on train. The park was 100 acres with a spring fed swimming pool, bragged to be the biggest Sulpher Pool in the South United States. Advertized to be the largest group of mineral springs in America. A modern Hotel with 52 rooms for 1909.
We can not forget to say that we also have a Ghost Town also. Come and walk through the past.