Stagecoach Golf CourseÂ (Coach's Golf & Grill)Â is found in West Point Township, Section 29, just north of Lena, Illinois. The land was owned in 1871 by a J. Acker, then reported in 1894 and 1913 to be owned by William Shellhasse (later Shellhouse). The quarry first documented as being on site in 1894 at the Shellhasse property. This estate was listed as 107.5 acres.
There is also evidence of 77.16 acres of the property having been owned by Wm. M. Rote in the 1930 time frame. The property was then purchased by the Lena Golf Club which started operation as Stagecoach Golf Course in 1928. Although it is very difficult to identify exactly where Stagecoach ranks relative to age of other golf courses in Illinois, it's founding corporation is currently 36th among golf courses in the state of Illinois making Stagecoach Golf Course truly legendary and historic Â Other history is included inÂ The Centennial History of the Lena Volunteer Fire Department,Â includingÂ historical sketches of the Lena community, 1869-1969, by the Lena (Ill.) Fire Department 1969. There is a picture of the course taken near the pond, with the water tower right of center in the photo. The entry states that the course was opened July 4, 1928, on a 40 acre tract of land on the northwest edge of the city. It also had a swimming pond (the quarry) that was enjoyed by local residents. The book indicates that a demonstration of the town's new fire engine was held near the water tower and at the golf course pond on August 28, 1930. The book also states that the then new white Chevrolet fire truck was tested at the pond of Stagecoach Golf Course in 1941.Â
TheÂ History of Stephenson County, 1970, edited by Mary X. Barrett (Freeport, IL: County of Stephenson, 1970) regarded Stagecoach as what many regard as one of the sportiest nine-hole courses in northern Illinois. After leasing two different sites, the Lena Golf Club purchased in 1928 the forty-acre William Rote farm, containing the water-filled old stone quarry long known to the boys of the village as 'the Pond.' With this water hole as the nucleus, a beautiful park-like golf course has been maintained through the years. The former clubhouse near the Lena-Galena Road had grown through several remodels from the original building in 1928 to include significant remodels in the late 1930's and again in the 1940's.Â
AARP will host a weekly live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursday at 1 pm (ET). Please join us each week for the latest information on the Coronavirus.Read More »
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR