South Boston Branch Library
646 East Broadway
The South Boston Branch first opened in April 1872 in the Masonic building at 372 West Broadway. It was the second branch library established in the United States. When the Masonic building was sold in 1948 the South Boston Branch was closed. In response to high demand for library service the branch was reopened in June 1950 in a storefront at 385-8 West Broadway were it remained until destroyed by fire in May 1957. Construction of the present building was underway which consolidated the City Point Branch with the South Boston Branch.