473 South Main Street
About Us :
The Society Hill Library was organized December 7, 1822. It is one of the oldest social libraries founded in South Carolina. A library society was formed to make rules for the management, and to assist with additions to the collection of books as needed. Members contributed $20 making a total of $240, with which Elias Gregg purchased books in Philadelphia.
The building was restored in early 1971 by the Dogwood Garden Club and the Society Hill Township for use as a public library, after being closed for more than 20 years. The library was reopened April 30, 1971.
The present library is located on the St. David's Academy school grounds. Many people from all over the country come to the library to learn about the history of the tiny building and the town of Society Hill.
The original building, in its restored state, has been placed near the Society Hill Town Hall.
Senator Gerald Malloy and the Darlington Legislative Delegation presented Darlington County Council and the Library Board with a check for $250,000 on September 18, 2006. These funds are to be used toward the construction of a new library to replace the present 850 sq ft