The Shelby County Historical Society was chartered in May of 1962 as a 501(c)(3) organization to gather people with similar interests in Shelby County history together. The Shelby County Museum is solely owned and operated by the Society and provides an avenue for preservation and display of items historically significance to the region. Donations of items are accepted by contacting the Museum.
The Museum is housed in a historically important house in Center, The Weaver-Oates House. Built in 1900 by Barron. Structurally the outside was changed around 1920s by adding a front porch and port-a-cache' on the side around 1940. Also the main chimney was removed around 1960. The house was donated along with other out buildings and the Shepherd House in 1983 by Dr. Steve and Mrs. Frances Oates of Center, Texas.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR