Shamokin And Coal Township Public Library
210 East Independence Street
The Shamokin and Coal Township Public Library was incorporated in April 1941 under the auspices of the Shamokin Woman's Club. Thwarted by both World War II and a lack of funds, the area's first Library did not open its doors until September 20, 1953 at 508 North Eighth Street and ten years later, at 69 East Independence Street.
The Library moved into its present location at 210 East Independence Street in June 1967 following the use of over $135,000 in federal Appalachian grants that were used to turn the former Wolfe's Department Store into a Public Library.
Currently the Library provides services and programs to the approximately 22,000 residents of the Shamokin Area School District. This includes the communities of Shamokin, Coal Township, Shamokin Township and East Cameron Township.
The Library offers over 54,000 books, magazines, newspapers, videotapes, books on tape, equipment and microfilm to its patrons. In 1996 the Library received its first Internet access computer through a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Education and Bell Atlantic. Since then,the Library has added two additional computers with Internet and word-processing capabilities for use by the public.
Presently the Library employs a professional librarian,four full-time and two part-time employees to handle the informational, educational and recreational needs of its patrons.