Sandy Spring Theatre Group
P.O. Box 94
Sandy Spring Theatre Group (SSTG) was formed in 1949 as a money-raising activity of the Sherwood PTA, and its first play was performed using members of the PTA as the cast. Its next effort was performed at the Olney Theater, courtesy of Mr. C. Y. Stevens, then owner of Olney Theater. The Group continued to produce its annual spring play at the Olney Theater until the death of Mr. Stevens in 1967. After that, plays were produced at Sherwood, Farquhar, Paint Branch, Kennedy and Argyle schools.
In 1960, desiring to encourage interest in the dramatic arts, the Group established awards for outstanding drama students at Sherwood High School. Six engraved plaques were presented each year, for more than 35 years, to members of the Sherwood Jesters for acting and technical excellence.
In 1972, the Vestry at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Brighton, approached the Group with the offer of its parish hall (formerly the local Grange Hall) as a home and theater for its players. The Group had dreamed of a home and now one was offered. This association with St. Luke's lasted through 1982, when the Vestry felt it could no longer afford to maintain the building. During those years, however, many memorable productions were performed in that tiny space.