Sandusky District Library
55 East Sanilac Avenue
The mission of the Sandusky Public Library is to ensure that the people of the community have the right and means to free and open access to information and ideas that are fundamental to a democracy.
The Sandusky Public Library was established in a storefront on South Elk Street in 1937 after Alice Coapman, wife of the Presbyterian minister, persuaded the Sandusky Study Club to promote the idea of a library. The women enthusiastically went about acquiring shelving, books, magazines and money. After spearheading a successful millage vote for operational funding, the Sandusky Public Library opened on June 8, 1937.
In 1955, the library moved to a facility on West Speaker Street, where it shared space with other city offices and services. Since 1955, the population in Sandusky grew modestly, but circulation of library resources grew substantially. The library added programs and resources to reflect the growing and changing interest and pursuits of the community.
In 1997, sixty years after its founding, the Sandusky Public Library reached a crucial point in it’s history. It had outgrown it’s facility and required additional resources, including technology, if it was to continue to meet the needs of the community. The library board and staff carefully considered the needs of the community and determined Sandusky needed a larger library that provides more resources.
The library board recommended a plan that called for a new 7,600 square foot facility. The new facility offers enhanced programs, services and storage space, as well as greater educational and recreational opportunities for the entire community.
The dream of many has become a reality. The new Sandusky District Library Grand Opening was held March 6, 2000.