1315 San Pedro
The San Pedro Branch Library opened on August 5, 1930. It was the first branch library built in San Antonio and the only one built in a public park, San Pedro Springs Park, the oldest municipal park in Texas and the second oldest in the USA after Boston Commons. Its architecture is Spanish in style with a vaulted ceiling complemented by architectural motifs. Two large archways open into separate wings housing adult and juvenile collections in a very intimate setting. Two back rooms were originally screened-in porches. Atlee & Robert B. Ayers were the architects. The block house, directly behind the library, probably dates from the early 1700s, while the bandstand and grotto were probably built in the 1890s.