Evidence of the early California Indians that once lived in the area has been found in this 50-year-old park. The Nature Center was the first in the Los Angeles County Park System, founded in the early 1950's.
The wooden building in the center is the original house for the caretaker of the San Dimas Water Supply Pump, located along the service road. The caretaker, Percy Conklin, and his daughter, Evelyn, established the beginning of the present-day Nature Center. Both were naturalists and specialized in plants, minerals and rocks.