San Angelo State Park is located on the shores of O.C. Fisher Reservoir, which was completed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1952 for flood control on the North Concho River. The park, adjacent to the city of San Angelo in Tom Green County, is an oasis of quality outdoor recreation in an area of West Texas known as Concho Country. It was leased by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and opened to the public May 1, 1995. The property contains 7,677 acres, most of which will remain undeveloped. Park redevelopment to its full recreational potential is expected to take a number of years. In the meantime, a wide range of facilities is available.
Archeological findings indicate roughly 18,000 years of Native American occupation in the expansive West Texas region, beginning with the Paleo-American hunters of giant Ice Age mammals. The Euro-American history of the area begins with 16th- and 17th-century Spanish exploration and the missions established for the semi-settled Jumano Indians. Some of these Jumanos made their way along the forks of the Concho River on expeditions to trade with Indian groups in central and eastern Texas. By the mid-1800s, German immigrants began to acquire land in the Concho River region. The increasing need to protect California-bound travelers led to the establishment of Fort Concho in 1867. From then on, farmers, ranchers and sheepherders all contributed to the settlement of Concho Country, with San Angelo (originally Santa Angela) becoming the county seat of Tom Green County in 1883.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR