The largest facility of the Murphysboro Park District is RiversidePark, located at Commercial and South 24th Street in the southwest part of the city alongside the Big Muddy River.Riverside Park was established in 1907 and immediately became the flagship of the district's offerings.At its inception, the park was landscaped by a professional firm contracted from St. Louis.Considered by many to be architectural treasures, the Riverside Park bandshell and grandstand at Chep Kessel Field were constructed as part of the Work Projects Administration programs of 1938.Today, both structures are being considered for recognition with the National Register of Historic Places.
A Veteran's Monument at Riverside Park was originally dedicated in 1928 by the American Legion, and then was rededicated in 2006 following numerous improvements. The biggest improvement is the Veteran's Remembrance Walk. For more information on the walk and to purchase brick remembering a veteran, visit the Friends of Murphysboro website here.
Our newest addition to Riverside Park is the Dog Park. After several years of planning and fundraising, the Friends of Murphysboro was able to have the park built. For more information, please visit their website here.
Each Independence Day, Riverside Park is home to one of Southern Illinois' premier Fourth of July fireworks celebrations.Held in conjunction with the City of Murphysboro, the annual event has long been a popular highlight of summer. Here's another surprise:the first Riverside Park fireworks celebration was held in 1939; local newspapers reported that as many as 40,000 people attended the event.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR