Pulaski County Public Library - Winamac
121 South Riverside Drive
Prior to the 20th century, several attempts had been made to develop a systematic method for circulating books in Winamac. Through the efforts of William H. Kelly and the Woman's Club, the Reading Room was opened in September 1905, with Miss Josie O'Connell serving as the first hired librarian.
In 1914, as the Reading Room outgrew its four walls, the officials of the Winamac Library requested, and received, funds from the Carnegie Foundation to construct a library on Front Street (later re-named Riverside Drive). The Starr Family, who lived just north of the 1892 Winamac Public School, donated the land; board president Moses Dilts broke ground; and construction began. The new Carnegie building was ready for occupancy in November, 1916.
At that time, the library served only the town of Winamac. On July 6, l953, the library began serving all of Monroe Township and became known as the Winamac-Monroe Public Library. Alma Doyle Zanger was the librarian.
Please use "Flag This Place" to alert us about content that is inappropriate or needs immediate attention. Nothing you submit will be shared with other site visitors.