Pulaski County Public Library - Medaryville
510 East Main
In the late 1950's and early 1960's Governor Matthew Welsh spearheaded the move to use federal LSCA funds to bring library service to the un-served rural areas of Indiana. In September, 1961, the Governor held a two-day conference for library directors and trustees at the Severin Hotel in Indianapolis. The attendees were to study the proposed plan which had been developed by the Public Library Development Committee of ILA.
Librarian, Sarah Baker and two library trustees attended this conference. When they returned, the wheels were set in motion to bring library service to every resident of Pulaski County.
Medaryville, for some unknown reason, was the only incorporated town in Pulaski County that did not take advantage of the Carnegie Foundation's offer of grant money to construct a library. Francesville, Monterey, and Winamac all had received grants for "Carnegie Libraries".
As the expansion project continued, it was decided by the library board and the library director, that a branch library would be established in Medaryville. On October 11, l965, the Medaryville Branch opened its doors in the Dewey Wayne building on Main Street. Mabel Cupka was hired as the clerk and an open house was held on October 31st.
In addition to the original location in the Dewey Wayne building, the branch has been housed in the "old" Bank Building and the Hannah Holl Building. In 2002, a $355,848 DOC grant was received by the County Commissioners. The Library Board added another $250,000 from the Library Improvement Reserve Fund and a new building was constructed on Main Street. The Lions Club donated the land.