In 1901 the women of the W.C.T.U. started a movement to establish a library in Plainville. After being housed in the First National Bank Building for several years the Priscilla Arts Club applied to the Carnegie foundation for a city library. The Carnegie library was built in 1911. In 1983 the present library was built with community fund raisers and the proceeds from the sale of a quarter section of land donated by Jim and Mary Donavan.