105 Victoria Place
Petit Branch Library is located on Syracuse's near east side off Westcott Street, in an eclectic area known as the University Neighborhood (for its proximity to Syracuse University) and the Westcott Nation. It is named for Douglas E. Petit, President of the Board of Syracuse Public Library until his death in 1926.
Petit, then called Westcott Station, first opened in the Lawrence Drug Store at the corner of Westcott and Dell Streets in 1912. The station was discontinued in 1926, in anticipation of the Douglas E. Petit Branch, which opened on Nov. 20, 1928 at 746 South Beech Street. The current building on Victoria Place was dedicated on May 10, 1961.
This branch offers a wide range of adult and children's materials in many formats print, video, DVD, compact disc. It is a bright, open building, with a very large collection of children's picture books. It also specializes in "out-of-the-way" fiction and maintains a special collection of books about New York State.
Children's programs, such as preschool story times and the summer reading program for children and teens, are regular features at Petit. A book discussion group for adults meets once a month, and special programs for adults and families, including a variety of entertaining and informational offerings, are very popular. The library also displays works by local artists, featuring a new exhibit each month.
Several computers with Internet access and word processing for adults and children are available. The children's computers also offer educational software. A "stand-up" computer is available for checking e-mail or quick Internet look-ups; no library card or appointment is needed for this service.