Parkway Village Branch Library
4655 Knight Arnold
In prior years to the mid 1950's, the area that is now Parkway Village was quite farmland with country roads and cotton fields. In 1956, developers began planning the area for gracious suburban living". Over the next decade the area grew rapidly and on October 23 1966 the new 6000 sq. ft. Parkway Village Library was formally dedicated. The Commercial Appeal reported that lines were so long many people stood in line for over 2 hours to get their cards and check out books. In 1972, an expansion project added an additional 2,800 sq. ft. to the west side of the building.
In subsequent years the library staff worked diligently to meet the needs of a growing, changing, and diverse community. In the 2005 fiscal year, 145,574 customers checked out 85,513 items and the 130 programs offered were attended by 2,939 people.