Park Forest Branch Library
3421 Forest Lane
The 1958 study by Dr. Lowell Martin predicted the growing need for library service in far northwest Dallas to keep pace with expanding population and commercial development. Unprecedented patron support of the neighboring Preston Royal and Walnut Hill Branch libraries created an additional factor in the need for the Park Forest Library.
In January 1970 the Library Board felt library buildings equipped for the use of the public were more important than vacant land. A recommendation was made by City Manager Scott McDonald to the city council that the purchase of three new library sites be deferred in order to construct the Park Forest Branch Library at Forest Lane and Cromwell. The site funds were needed to help finance the Park Forest Branch. Low bid for the project was $105,000 more than the original estimate of $409,369. City council members took under advisement a decision on financing of the project.
The Park Forest Branch library, designed by Forrest Upshaw, Jr. and built by C. & L. Stone builders, Inc., opened to the public on March 9, 1971. It was the first branch library to open with an audiocassette collection. They preceded Polk-Wisdom by a few months.