348 Main Street
The Orange Public Library is a magnificent building built in the Beaux-Art and Classical Revival styles complete with Ionic and Doric columns and richly ornamented architectural details. Mckim, Mead and White designed the original library building in 1900 and it was recorded as a national historic landmark in 1981. Orange has a rich library tradition dating back to 1883. From the Library's beginning, it was an association library, supported by dues, endowments and donations.
In 1945, the citizens of Orange voted by referendum to financially support a ''free public library'', and took over the operation of the building as a publicly owned and municipally operated facility. Our library today has a collection of over 150,000 holdings and has been serving the residents of Orange for over 120 years. And so the Orange Public Library, respectful of its heritage and the beautiful structure provided it in the 1901, has continued to grow and adapt itself to changing times. Its staff Boards of Trustees and especially its patrons, eagerly anticipate its second century of service to the City of Orange.