The library was founded in the summer of 1923 by the Women's Club of Beachwood. At that time the Beachwood Borough was a seasonal small town and most of the club members returned in the fall to their city homes.
During the winter months they collected books for the library at the shore. At the spring opening several thousand books were on the shelves. The members of the club took turns running the library which was then housed in the Beachwood Chapel.
The Beachwood Library became incorporated in 1944 and was first known as the Pulsifer Memorial Library. The building and land were donated by Mr. Nathan Trowbridge Pulsifer in memory of his wife Mrs. Almira Pulsifer.