North Olympic Library System - Forks Branch
171 Forks Avenue South
The Forks Library first opened January 19, 1946. A room in the old Forks grade school was donated for the library's use. The original collection of about 600 books was made available from the county together with gifts and memorials from local citizens.
Due to increased school attendance, the library moved into a small building owned by the Public Utility District in 1947. Thanks to the efforts of local volunteers the building, which was originally built to house pedigreed wool Angora rabbits, was repaired and made suitable for library use. Later that year, a Forks Community Council committee decided to make the library a memorial to those who died in wars and in March, 1948 the Forks Memorial Library Association was incorporated.
A new building was built in 1951 and operated under the direction of the Forks Memorial Library Association until 1973. The North Olympic Library System was formed in 1973 merging city libraries, including the Forks library, with the Clallam County Library District.
Feeling the impact of a growing community, the North Olympic Library system began seeking a solution to once again crowded conditions in 1979. In the spring of 1980 they purchased the old Sea-First Bank building and began remodeling. The new building, with a collection of over 20, 000 books opened its doors to public service in January, 1981.
Today, with a collection of over 25,000 items including books, CDs, videos and more, the Forks Branch of the North Olympic Library system continues the tradition of dedicated service to the community of Forks and outlying rural areas of Clallam and Jefferson counties.