Established in April 1886, the Sioux City YMCA operated in a former church until its first facility was built on the corner of 7th and Pierce Streets in downtown Sioux City, Iowa in 1892 for less than $50,000.
In 1956, the Y moved to a brand new facility at 722 Nebraska Street, following a successful capital campaign that raised more than $700,000. It replaced the outdated building two blocks away, and included a separate entrance for boys and men and two floors of overnight residences.
The Nebraska Street facility was home to the Siouxland Y for more than 50 years, but as the facility aged and community needs changed, the now Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA broke ground on a new facility just across the Missouri River in Scenic Park, South Sioux City, Nebraska. The new 62,000 square foot, $11 million facility opened in January 2008.
With more than a century of serving the Siouxland community, the Y has impacted thousands and thousands of lives, inspiring members and participants to achieve greater wellbeing through healthier, more active lifestyles. Today, Y’s around the world serve more than 20 million youth, families and individuals providing opportunities for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR