New York Public Library - Washington Heights Branch
1000 Street Nicholas Avenue
The Washington Heights Branch of The New York Public Library, a four story brick structure was designed by Carrere and Hastings. The first Washington Heights Library opened in 1868. The library moved twice before a generous gift from J. Hood Wright, a New York philanthropist, made its collection available free of charge to all residents of Washington Heights. In 1914, the library moved to its present quarters at 1000 Street, Nicholas Avenue. The facility houses an adult, young adult, children and reference collection. A multi use auditorium is available for community group meetings as well as library programs.