Museum Of Lake Minnetonka
P.O. Box 178
The “Minnehaha” was one of six streetcar boats launched in 1906 by the Twin Cities Rapid Transit Company. Designed to resemble streetcars, the boats were an extension of the streetcar line. For twenty years the boats served the resorts, summer cottages and Big Island Park. The streetcar boats carried passengers on a regular daily schedule to many locations on Lake Minnetonka.
With the advent of the automobile, ridership on the streetcar boats fell off and all operations ceased in 1925. In 1926, the Minnehaha and two other boats were stripped and scuttled on the north side of Big Island. Others were dismantled the following year. The last one, the Hopkins, was sunk in 1948.
There they lay until 1980 when the Minnehaha was discovered in deep water near Big Island. It was raised from the bottom by divers and brought to shore where plans were made for a complete restoration. The restoration by volunteers began in 1990 and was completed in 1996. Following its maiden voyage it once again resumed serving the public on Lake Minnetonka.