Mary H. Weir Public Library
3442 Main Street
The Weirton Woman's Club was formed in 1923. In 1924, the Club decided to make its first project the formation of a public library. This decision was partly the result of a request by Miss Gertrude Miller of the Weirton Christian Center to the West Virginia Federation for books to use at the Center. A Federation officer passed this request on to the newly formed club and the public library was voted by the club to be its first project. Mrs. Myrtle Bambrick, as president of the club, was instrumental in promoting the library project. The club began raising money for the project by holding dances, musical comedies, concerts, tag days, rummage sales, picture shows and card parties. Early in 1926, Mrs. C. S. Moses, who had helped organize a library in McMechen, West Virginia, was appointed to head the committee to plan and start the library. With less than one thousand dollars, no building facilities, and no books, three of the committee members called upon the Weirton Steel Company for help. They secured a share of the social services building providing that Mrs. Edwards, being a loyal member of the Weirton Woman's Club, gave them room. This first home of the Weirton Public Library was a room in a small frame building which stood on the present site of the Weirton Post Office. A number of books were donated; the club had shelves built, purchased a desk, a few chairs and some books.