The Mission of the Litchfield District Library is to maintain a broad collection of well-balanced information, quality materials for reference, education, and for the enjoyment of the community in a welcoming, respectful, business-like manner.
- Between 1870 and 1880 the first library of Litchfield was organized.
- The Ladies Library Association formed in 1900 but lasted only a short time.
- In the early 1920's, the Litchfield Public Library was formed. Its goals were “to establish and maintain a library, encourage and reading of good books, and to improve the literary improvements of the community.”
- The Library moved twice from 1940 to 1967 and in the fall of 1973 the Library moved to its present location. With contributions of over $250,000 from the Simpson Foundation and citizens of Litchfield the Library was able to redecorate and buy necessary furnishings.
- In October 1973 Litchfield Township and the City of Litchfield combined to form the Litchfield District Library (LDL).
- In 1974 the Litchfield District Library joined the Willard Library System with headquarters in Battle Creek.
- In 2001 computers were purchased through a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation allowing patrons access to the web using one of three public computers.
- In 2007 the Library became WI-FI certified giving people the ability to use their laptops and surf the web using a secure wireless connection.