110 West Carroll Street
Recognizing the diverse needs of the community it serves, the Lanark Public Library shall actively provide access to informational, educational, cultural, recreational materials and programs, in order to promote an informed citizenship, enrich personal lives and improve the quality of leisure time.
Introduction to the Lanark Public Library
The Lanark Public Library began in 1886 when forty civic minded persons each donated one dollar to form a library. It was first located over a downtown drugstore and later moved to the home of Misses Emma and Estella White at 120 S. Princess Street, where the books were accessible to the public. The books remained there until 1941 when the settling of the White estate made it necessary to move them. From 1944 to 1956 the Woman's Club took the responsibility to fund, sponsor and staff the library. In 1956 the Library Committee of the Woman's Club circulated petitions favoring a property tax levy and directors. September 28, 1957 marked the official opening at 110 West Locust Street. The Library remained at that location until 1972 when it moved to 124 East Carroll Street. In the spring of 1977 the library moved into the Lanark City Hall building at 110 West Carroll Street where it still resides today.