One of the original canal feeder lakes, 407-acre Lake Loramie State Park offers visitors a quiet retreat in rural Ohio. Swim from the sandy beach, hike along the old canal towpath, stay a night in a shaded campsite or boat the lazy waters of 843-acre Lake Loramie.
Preceding the French and Indian War of 1754-1763, the Miami village called Pickawillany became prominent in this area. Over 400 Indian families lived here and it became the principal headquarters of the Miami Confederacy before being destroyed by the French in 1752 because the Miami Indians sided with the British.
Lake Loramie derived its name from the famous French-Canadian trader, Peter Loramie, who in 1769 established a trading post at the mouth of Loramie Creek near the west end of what is now Loramie Reservoir. Loramie first came to the area as a Jesuit priest to minister to the Wyandot and Shawnee Indians.
Loramie's store became the center of Indian mischief against the settlers, and Loramie became a bitter enemy of the Americans. General George Rogers Clark destroyed the post and a nearby Indian village in 1782 during an expedition in the Miami valley. Loramie emigrated west with a band of Shawnee shortly afterwards. In 1794, General "Mad" Anthony Wayne built a fort on the former trading post site.
Lake Loramie was originally constructed in 1844-45 as a storage reservoir to supply water for the Miami-Erie Canal system. A short feeder canal connected Lake Loramie with the main canal which furnished transportation from the Ohio River at Cincinnati north to Lake Erie. The canal system reached its peak of economic importance in the mid-1800s. Eventually, the advent of the railroads and destruction caused by the floods of 1913 forced the abandonment of the canals in that year.
Since that time, Lake Loramie and other canal lands became recognized for their potential to serve increasing outdoor recreational needs. In 1949, Lake Loramie became the possession of the newly created Division of Parks and Recreation of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and has been maintained as a state park since.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR