133 South Kansas Avenue
History of Jennings City Library
The city library began as a personal collection of Mrs. Margaret Underwood. Mrs. Underwood was very well educated and her chief goal was to see that the public had good books to read. She became the inspiration for the community to start a city Library. The first home of the library was in the reception room of the local dentist Dr. W.H. Liggit.
In April of 1931 a proposition was made at the regular city election to levy 3/4 of a mill to establish and maintain a public library. The proposition was approved by the citizens.
As the collection expanded it was moved throughout the homes of various people until 1945. On September 5, 1945 the Jennings City Library was moved to its present location in the new Jennings City Hall. In honor of the newly acquired home, an Open House was held. The library has undergone several improvements since the original open house. The city's mill levy has helped to make these improvements possible.
Almost 50 years later in August of 1995 another Open House was held to commemorate the 50th year and the recent purchase of a computer system. The computer system is the link of this small midwest town to the information superhighway and the entire world!
The library continues to be a vital resource in the community.