The Self Culture Club started the first library in 1906. A Silver Tea was held and people were asked to also donate a book. A bookcase was placed in Dr. M. L. Brown's Drug store and Miss Kate Fairman served as Librarian for two afternoons each week. When Dr. Brown moved his store and practice to Brownwood, the library moved to the variety store of Mr. & Mrs. Floyd Mullan. In 1923, the Mullans moved their store to Marlin and the Self Culture Club was unsuccessful in finding a place to put the books. The Club voted to discontinue the Library, and a Commission was appointed to dispose of the books. Ninety good books were shipped to the Prison Library at Huntsville, and the remainder donated to our local Public School Library.
When the Jennie Trent Dew Library Building was built, there was only a handful of books, and the planners never dreamed that by 1971 the library would own around eight thousand volumes. Those who work with the library have a great desire for its services to be used by all the citizens of the county. Without the help of the community, this growth of library services would not have been possible.
In 1998 Jennie Trent Dew Library became a city/county library and received and establishment grant from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. At this time the libraries hours of operation increased to 20 hours per week.
The Library began with 1,949 books and today the shelves contain thousands of books. The Library now has 4 computer stations, complete with internet access for use by the public. We also have a copy machine and fax.
We have recently completed an automation project at the library. Our complete collection is on computer. The Jennie Trent Dew Library Board and Staff would like to give special thanks to the Tocker Foundation for providing a grant for this automation system and the Central Texas Library System for their help with this project and many previous projects. We would also like to thank the volunteers who spent many hours working with the staff on automation.