At a cost of more than thirty six thousand dollars, this structure was started in May, 1888. Work continued for more than a year and a half. The building contractor was James H. Coster of Baltimore, Maryland. The architect was Will A. Ferrett, the Supervising Architect of the Treasury.
Sheriff John M. Vines, prominent historically in the renowned Diamond Bessie murder trial was one of the superintendents of construction. After the Federal Government discontinued use of the building as a post office and federal court, the property was bought by the Jefferson Historical Society in January, 1965.
Containing a basement, three floors and a garret, the adequate space is provided for the display of the large and interesting collections of the Jefferson Historical Society.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR