Jackson-Madison County Library
433 East Lafayette Street
Historically, Jacksonians have always had an interest in public library services. A local newspaper editor opened a public reading room in the 1830's. In 1886, the Jackson Free Library Association established a circulating public library.
Andrew Carnegie contributed $30,000 for the construction of the Jackson Free Public Library which opened on March 3, 1903. The original Free Public Library building has been fully restored and is available for events of all kinds. Now named the Carnegie Center for Arts and History, it is operated by the Jackson Recreation and Parks Department. Even though it is no longer used as a library, it is a significant part of library history. The Carnegie Center is located just two blocks west of the present library. A building designed by the late W.C. Harris has been the site of the library since September 15, 1968.