Irving Area Historical Museum
201 East State Street
The museum was founded June 3, 1999 as a not for profit organization which depends on gifts, bequests, and volunteer fund raisers to help us in our dedicated effort to preserve our heritage and tell the story of our area from the year 1826 when the first settler homesteaded here. The museum is not supported by any assessed taxation. We just want to show the world the results of the volunteer efforts of this small village in Montgomery county and State of Illinois. Population 495.
The museum's Grand Opening was held June 17, 2000. On June 7, 2000 the museum received Illinois State Senate Certificate of Recognition. ON November 15, 2000 the museum received State of Illinois, 91st General assembly, House of Representatives House Resolution No. 838. On June 25, 2002 the museum received the Governor's Home Town Award. On October 23, 2002 Lamar Hartman was presented the 2002 Studs Terkel Humanities Service Award from Illinois Humanities Council by Village Mayor Harold Jurgena. John Clark received the same award on November 7, 2004.
Many volunteers have contributed to the success of this new landmark. The building has been around for over 100 years and was graciously donated by a local business, M & M Service Co. for the purpose of saving history.