The Inwood Branch - Manhattan's northernmost branch - serves a large multi-ethnic community. The branch has strong Spanish-language collections and offers English classes for adults whose native tongue is another language. The children's room on the second floor includes space for programs; events for teenagers and adults take place in the auditorium. In 1902, NYPL began providing services to the Inwood neighborhood in collaboration with the Dyckman Library. Twenty-one years later NYPL expanded its presence in the area when it opened a sub-branch at a private house, to the study hall of the old George Washington High School, and to two other locations. Finally, in 1952, the branch moved into its present location in a three-story building on Broadway, just north of Dyckman Street.
A renovation through the Library's Adopt-a-Branch program was completed in 2001 making the branch accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. An expansion of the southeast corner provides a separate reference room on the first floor and large reading room for toddlers on the second. Upgraded air conditioning, elevator, and 16 new computer workstations were also added.