Independence Branch Library
3548 West Irving Park Road
About this Library:
Independence Branch reopened July 15, 1995 in a larger, renovated facility which replaced a smaller storefront.
The Irving Park Woman's Club was instrumental in founding the Independence Branch Library. The organization was established in 1888 as a literary society and had a keen interest in books and libraries. As early as 1901, each member was requested to donate one book or magazine to form the nucleus of a circulating library. In 1909, two members visited Librarian Henry Legler to discuss the possibility of establishing a branch library in Irving Park. In 1911, the first location of the Independence Branch opened at Fox Drug Store, 4200 West Irving Park Road. In July of 1914, the library moved to the second floor of the Independence Park Field House and then, in 1928, to a double storefront at 3718 West Irving Park Road, where it remained for 67 years, until 1995.