Idaho Falls Public Library
457 West Broadway
The Library Turns 25 A Silver Anniversary to Remember
2002 marked the 25th anniversary of the Idaho Falls Public Library's relocation to the current building on Broadway and Capitol. The article below written by Gary Mills of the library staff outlines the history of the Idaho Falls Public Library.
Early settlers of Eagle Rock understood the importance of a library and having access to books for the citizens. As early as 1884, Rebecca Mitchell started a reading room with 300-400 volumes in the Baptist Church. A short time later, in 1896, the Women's Christian Temperance Union developed a reading room "for the purpose of keeping young people away from saloons and pool halls."